torn

It's hard finding a church sometimes.  We really thought we would just "know" when the right one came along.  And I've really been thinking that maybe we've known all along - it just looks differently than we thought it would.  But I guess that's how Jesus always does it, huh?

So we've been to two churches in the four weeks we've been here (Week 1 was spent unpacking and Week 3 was spent nursing our puppy back to health after "the wound").  Saturday of Week 2 was spent in the most bazaar trip to the post office I've ever encountered, where (I'm not sure if I already told you this story but here is round two if so) A of all, the line is ridiculously long, B of all, we meet an awesome couple that saw our "I love Mississppi" tags and struck up conversation about all sorts of interesting things (i.e. cloth diapers), C of all, the lady at the counter wouldn't tape my box!  What's a girl to do when she has no packing tape at home and the lady at the counter won't tape her box?  Let's just say it was definite conformation for me that this far northeast is not "Dixie" as many people argue it is.  If we were truly in Dixie, my box would have been nicely taped by the sweet smiling woman at the counter.  Anyways, that's part of the story behind your package Kelly ;).  So in the midst of talking about the back roads of MS, our dog, their history, and cloth diapers, they invited us to church.  Hello!  "Yes! We would love to come to your church tomorrow."  Thank you, Jesus.
So we went to church the next day, and although the service wasn't what we're used to and the word wasn't really where we're at in our lives, the people were amazing.  Everyone was so nice and genuine.  So, since that day, we've made a ton of really great friends - ones that I don't see us living without in years to come.  They have sought us out in the most genuine and friendly way.  We just got back from the Christmas party a little bit ago. :)  It's so easy to talk to everyone there.  It's never uncomfortable or awkward at all.  We basically love it.

So then we go to a church today that we found on igloballegacy, which is a website where you can search churches in your area that support Bill Johnson Ministries.  Awesome help in a place where you know a limited number of people and a limited number of routes.  The church we went to today was right up our ally.  Amazing worship and an amazing word.  So much revelation.  It was really so great.  One guy and one girl introduced themselves to us before it started and they were both super cool, however, after the service was over I was a little surprised in the "not at home" feeling I had.  A few women came up to us and told us they were glad we came, but other than that, no one really talked to us.  That kind of changed everything.

Christopher and I are huge on community and thoroughly believe it is where Jesus loves to thrive.  So I think we know where we're being led, but it's still so different than we thought it would be.  Our good friend, Beau, once told us that sometimes it's better to choose the church by the community, and then listen to sermons and worship the Lord on your own.  We may try that out for this season.

I'd love to hear what you all think.  What would you do?

Comments

  1. I know I'm super late, but just to let you know that even though you are hundreds of miles away from me now, you and Chris continually encourage me to a degree you cannot imagine! You guys have so much wisdom and are always careful about each decision you make.
    You know I'm all about community too. And if there's peace and God's love is thriving in a place, that's where you want to be. Worship and Word and revelation is great and needed, but we if we speak in tongues of men and angels but don't have love...And of course being in a culture of honor is essential to community...anywho, that's been my soapbox (not that you don't know all of that already).
    I love you guys too much!
    Blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts