for me

I don't write creatively as much as I'd like to. Honestly, I forget about it most of the time, aside from it being a truly fulfilling hobby of mine. I do write every single day, but it's personal journaling in the mornings - something not worth making public. Fortunate for me, I have this beautiful friend that every now and then puts a word in my ear about my blog - a gentle reminder that it exists and she checks it.

So I'd like to write a quick blip about my life in it's current state. Today is the one year anniversary of signing the lease for our business - February 7th! It's weird to think we've been open almost a year (it took about two months to finish our buildout). But there it is, on the calendar; undeniable. We've learned so much this past year.
I think we've made fools out ourselves more than we'd like to acknowledge; but honestly, I always see it as a growing opportunity.  Even if we don't communicate well, don't post the right photos, don't return emails or calls appropriately, forget our systems, whatever it may be - every poor experience allows us to grow, gain insight, and become so much better. We're allowed the opportunity to tweak our communication, perception from others, and reputation because we mess things up.  It's rewarding to be in this hard place for the past year, and I honestly don't expect a huge change in the next 2 - 3 years. But I'm constantly thinking of our lives 10 - 20 years from now. I imagine us being extremely on point, systems perfect, communication clear, welcoming to people, etc. It's a fun place to see in my mind.

Personally, I'm feeling good. Since the past year has put a strain on my diet, I'm currently trying to cleanse my gut and get back on track. I've been feeling poorly for a while, so the past two weeks I've been eating cleaner. I'm learning Ashtanga yoga which I like a lot. I love the principle of it, or what I understand the principle to be - to memorize the flow so you can truly meditate while moving. I'm also going to start exercising with a trainer at a specialty gym next week. My trainer is wonderful and I'm happy to have accountability for exercise. It's time to get some discipline and routine in my life. I'm trying each day to get up at the same time, read and write, walk to work on time, eat well, and take care of the house, work, dog, and myself. I'm excited for Lent next week because it was such a transformational time last year. Overall, things are going really well.

Another thing - my ten year high school reunion is this year. I've been debating for weeks if I should go. I think if Facebook didn't exist then I would definitely be there. And I think I truly don't want to go for disgust of rekindling something that needs to stay in the past. I'm from the South, which apparently means our reunion is being held at a night club where wrestling matches take place..... I don't even know what to say about that, other than "no thanks". Anyway, at this point, I'm trying to figure out a nice way to tell everyone I'm not attending. And I'm a little bit mourning the fact that my 10 year reunion didn't turn out to be a nice elegant evening with adult conversation (like I've imagined it to be for 10 years) - maybe I can hope for the 25 year reunion.

Comments

Popular Posts